Published December 1, 2019
Life can be complicated. Financial concepts can be so complicated. We all enjoy those little short quotes that cut through complexities of life and remind us how applying some simple principles makes life less complicated.
The same is true in finances. Here are some quotes that provide profound insights in few words.
• "Every man ought to have money on his mind. No man ought to have money on his heart."
• "If you give while you live, you also know where it goes."
• "Money is what you'd get along beautifully without if only other people weren't so crazy about it."
• "If you can't pay as you go, you're going too fast."
• "Molehills of debt build mountains of worry."
• "We seldom think of what we have, but what we lack."
• "More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking where they went."
• "You should have two financial goals in life: to make a little money first, and then to make a little money last."
• "Yesterday is a cancelled check.Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is the only cash you have — so spend it wisely."
• "An investor's worst enemy is not the stock market — but oneself."
• "When a person with experience meets a person with money, the person with experience will get the money. And the person with the money will get some experience."
• "Economists have correctly predicted nine out of the last five recessions."
• "A dirty penny can hide the brightest star if it is held to close to one's eyes."
• "Money can't buy love, health, happiness… or what it did last year."
• "People want economy, and they will pay any price for it."
• "It's daring and challenging to be young and poor, but never old and poor. Whatever resources of good health, character and fortitude you bring to retirement, remember to bring money."
• "How to handle money: use common sense. The simplest choices are often the best ones. Impulse is your enemy, time your friend."
• "Creditors have much better memories than debtors."
• "It's not the bears and the bulls that make you lose money on Wall Street. It's the bum steers."
We can read quotes like these and enjoy the wittiness. Just don't forget the truths contained are weighty. If we apply their truths, they can be extremely valuable to us.
Don Spencer is Kentucky Baptist Convention Church Financial Benefits Consultant.
Not a subscriber? Want to see more content like this article?
Please subscribe to the Western Recorder print or online edition.
Already a subscriber? Login here.